Friday, February 27, 2009

Code for Poop

One of Savy's favorite things to do is take a little crap when she's supposed to be napping. She ends up stinking up her whole room, or sometimes our whole house, and usually misses out on her nap because by the time I go rescue her, she's been in her crib for about an hour and won't go back to bed. Oftentimes she'll just talk herself to sleep, or talk instead of sleeping, and sometimes she'll talk instead of sleeping because she can't sleep with her stinky bum. So the other day we laid her down for nap, let her talk for an hour, went in to get her up and was blasted by her stink. Sammy decided Savana needed to learn a code word to let us know when she was poopy so we could change her bum. He sat there for a good five minutes while changing the stinky diaper (he's such a good hubby, eh?) and practiced having her say "Mommy, poopy, change bum." I thought it just went over her head. But today, after taking a refreshing dip in the Lehi Legacy Pool with my sis and her littlest boys, I laid her down for a nap, hopped in the shower, and started browsing on the computer. Savy was blabbing away in her crib, and I was baffled as to why she hadn't fallen asleep yet. I even stuck my nose in to smell her room, and it didn't stink. So I just let her talk. And then I listened to what she was saying. And I heard, "mommy, change bum, mommy, change bum," in a little sing-song voice. Did she really understand what her daddy was teaching her yesterday? And sure enough, I walked in her room and was blasted, once again, by her stink. (I must have stuck my nose in prematurely before). So I changed her bum, put her back in her crib, and am now enjoying my peace and quiet while she's sleeping.

It always amazes me how much she understands and what she picks up on. Kids are so observant at this age and simply soak everything in. I need to remember to never underestimate Savy's capabilities. She's a smart, beautiful, incredibly entertaining girl who can learn code words about poop.

2 comments:

Toni said...

LOL that is funny. I hope for your sake your next one is a boy.. those girls are hand fulls.

The Greenwoods said...

oh that is so cute!! My Dev will tell me she needs a new diaper too! Now if we could just teach them to tell us before they need to go!!! That would be delightful :)