Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cougar Inspiration

Cougar football season has begun.  If you know my husband at all, you know he's a loyal cougar football fan (eventhough he never attended BYU).  Being married to him for five years, I have also become quite the fan.  Saturday was our first opportunity this year to see them play, and we were not disappointed.  It was a good game, but not good enough for me to blog about.  What is blogworthy was the fireside we attended the night before.  Sammy and I are both youth leaders in our ward, and our youth was invited to a fireside put on by the BYU football team and coach.  It was great.  The spirit those young men carry with them is incredible, and I count myself blessed to hear some of them share their testimonies.  These are the few pointers that stuck in my head...

Be an example.  Examples of people around us aren't the main influence in our lives, it's the ONLY influence.  Lift those around you up.  Build and strengthen one another.  Be a worthy example of who you truly are...a son and daughter of God.

Study and apply the scriptures to our lives.  I'm sure God inspired James to write the famous scripture that lead Joseph Smith to ask our Father in Heaven which church he should belong to.  There's a scripture written out their specifically for me. Treasure the scriptures, study them as often as possible, believe in them, and apply them to our lives.

It is a privilege to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Stand up for what is right, put forth some effort in doing what is right, and be proud to be a member of this great and marvelous work.

Quest for perfection.  Strive to be perfect even as the Savior is.  Be honest with yourself and do your best.  We don't have to be perfect, but we do have to do our best.  Have a talk with yourself and see if you're sincerely doing your best.  Do your absolute best in one thing, then try to do your absolute best in another area.  Quest for perfection.

These were just a few snippets of the great stuff that was shared that night.  My spirit was touched by what was said, and I have been inspired to do better, no, to do my honest, sincere, best at what I do.  

1 comment:

Lizzen said...

Sounds very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.