Monday, March 17, 2008

Contemporary Journal

This last weekend Sammy and I went to our Stake Conference. For the first time, we attended the adult session on Saturday night. Sam claims there's never been an adult session before, but I think we've just finally grown up a bit to actually hear about the "adult" session. Keeping Savana entertained kept us distracted for the majority of both sessions, but there were a few moments where I was able focus on the messages being delivered by the speakers. One speaker was talking about temple work and what our role should be in getting that temple work done. He mentioned going to the temple and doing the vicarious work there, but the majority of his talk was focused on keeping journals and family records for future generations. He even mentioned his wife's blog as being an important part of this record keeping. And I had an AHA moment...I can also take part in this wonderful "record keeping" work by sharing my thoughts, feelings, and events in my life through my blog. This wasn't why I originally started blogging (it was more of a chance to post cute pictures of my baby), but this is why I now am going to blog.

A month or so ago I was talking to my family about sustaining Pres. Monson in his role as prophet of this church during ward conference. My brother-in-law asked me if I had received my own personal witness of Pres. Monson being the prophet. His question caught me off-guard and made me think...have I received this witness? Sure, I believed Pres. Monson should be the prophet and I had faith that the Lord called Pres. Monson to be our prophet, but did I have my own personal witness? Well, yesterday, I had the opportunity to sustain Pres. Monson once again. As his name was called out and as I raised my hand to sustain Pres. Monson, I felt a slight chill run through my body. I felt it again as I sustained Pres. Eyring and Pres. Uchdorff. I caught Sam's eye and he mouthed..."I just felt the spirit." He felt the same thing I did. The small but powerful presence of the spirit had confirmed to both Sammy and I that Pres. Monson is the prophet of our church. I am excited to see what he does while fulfilling that role!

1 comment:

cAsSy said...

Every blog I write is written in Word so that I can print them and put them in my journal. I have a binder and I throw them in there. I write in my regular journal as well but its just a good way for my future kids to see the more spiritual me which is written in the journal and the more crazy me which is on the blog. It is such a good way to record and document your adventures. I love it!