Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Motivate Me

Sam's staying late at work, Savana's been in bed since 7:00, I've had an hour to myself, and what do I do? I clean my house, make my shopping list, and then sit on my butt watching American Idol. I don't even care about American Idol! There are so many things I want to do...scrapbook, run, workout, play the violin, run some more, paint, learn, improve my teaching skills...but when I actually have the time to do these things, I resort to reading a book or watching tv. I've set my alarm early for the past week to get up and run, but I hit snooze EVERY TIME and go back to sleep. I've temporarily lot my motivation to do these things I really enjoy. Where did it go? It makes me think....

What motivates people? Ideally, motivation would come from within. I would do things just because I want to do them. And I would have the willpower to put my laziness aside and do those things that I want to do. I would be able to see past the moment...that battle within...and get out and do things that make me a better person. I used to have the willpower to do many things. I once ran a marathon (in another life), and I've let that willpower slip past. I believe it's time for me to set some goals and get myself into action.

but I still wonder...what motivates you?

2 comments:

cAsSy said...

My motivations:

I took a picture of myself in a cute bikini I used to wear back in HS and I want to wear again soon.

My 5 year reunion is next summer.

I just don't sit down.

If I have chores I get them out of the way so I can quilt. It is my reward for keeping things nice and organized.

Toni said...

My self esteem I suppose and the strength that being productive whether it be running, working out, or some new hobby, without it I start to get down on myself and lose my identity. I feel strong when I do thing that are hard, like waking up at 6 am to run, and when little hiccups in life come my way I have that inner confidence to say to those hiccups.. screw you.