Friday, April 4, 2008

Chickies

Every spring my mom (also a Kindergarten teacher) hatches baby chicks for her class. Well, she puts them in an incubator and hopes they hatch. This year, only one of her 12 eggs hatched. Being the sensitive woman she is, she had to go buy two other chicks from Thanksgiving Point so her one chick wouldn't feel lonely!

When I was student teaching in Logan, I also hatched eggs for my Kindergarteners. I had a lot of them hatch, but then two chicks had something happen to them, and they started losing strength in their legs and eventually ended up dying. I was devastated over the loss of these two chicks (Sam can attest to that, as can the teacher I was helping...I was in tears the whole day!) Nevertheless, I haven't had the courage (or time) to attempt to hatch eggs in my class...but we love going to visit them at Grandma's school!


Savana loved watching the chicks play around in the cage. She kept making little chirping noises, just like the chickies! The yellow chick is the one my mom successfully hatched!



Mallory had to keep a close eye on Savana. The chickies were so interesting, she wanted to grab them. And little kids don't know the power of their own strength.

3 comments:

cAsSy said...

Holy cow how fun!!! I bet she just loved it. Who am I kidding I would have loved it too!!

Ashlie said...

How fun. I love the little chickies. I think it is so great that she is making the sound. How cute:)

Melissa said...

I was telling my friend the other day how your mom would do that for her class and I loved it cause I got to see and play with them. So cute--and she is the cutest little girl! I know her and B would be buds!