Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I Kid, I Kid

So, I spent some time today researching non-profit organizations. I'm working on a branding project for an organization which funds and carries out humanitarian projects to feed those in need and looking at example organizations gets my mind going. Anyway, I decided to visit unicef.org to fill my idea bucket. While I knew UNICEF was a humanitarian organization, as I read I realized that I never knew they focused specifically on the improvement of children's lives worldwide.

I read about how many children are born into impoverished conditions, about how many never get the chance to go to school, and about how many ultimately succumb to malnutrition and die. I was moved as my thoughts turned to my little girl. I love her so much—more than I ever thought possible. How would I feel if she had to fight for survival, or would never have the chance to better her circumstances?

It's a tragedy, one of the worst I can imagine. Children, the most innocent of all human beings, deserve the right to be children. Being a child for my little girl means being fed, clothed, and played with. She gets to learn, grow, and brighten my day with her cheery disposition. She is comforted and coddled, loved and hugged. My life is better because her life is as it should be. All children deserve that life.

I don't usually feel swayed by humanitarian causes. They are often far away and disconnected enough from my life to be little more than a news story. The fight for children is a cause that I, from my new perspective as a father, can more easily champion. If I really love my little girl, shouldn't I fight for her and all children?

2 comments:

Amber said...

I know God has His reasons why these innocent children have to suffer, but I don't feel it is fair for them to have to go through certain things. Hunger, malnutrition, cancer, skin diseases, lack of education...all of these things are things they have no control over as a child, and yet they still must go through it. And oftentimes it makes me wonder what can I do to help these children out?

Ashlie said...

Oh, that was from sam...Love the blog. That shirt that she has on is so dang cute! I love it. (The long one) and her in the sink....wow. cute. I love that little chick